Wednesday 5 April 2017

I'll only ever run 10k!

.....least that's what I said when I joined the Pontyclun RoadRunners a little over a year ago. However,  I have just run the furthest I have ever run...19.25 miles!

With the continued support and advice from my PRR family, I have steadily been increasing distances. As you have guessed it I have been totally bitten by the running bug. With two half marathons under my belt, it was time for a new challenge, so that's when I signed up to take part in the Run, Walk, Crawl Vale Ultra Half Marathon along the Welsh Coastal Path. Two race distances were available, 32 and 18.5 miles. So, okay the 32 miles was definitely pushing it but I thought with the right training I might just make the 18.5 miles.

So we began training, slowly increasing the distances we were running and of course training for the first time carrying a backpack (a compulsory part of the race is to carry essential kit including compass, whistle, emergency blanket, food, water, hat and a whole lot more). So, for several runs we practised carring bags of rice around our local area! Of course another essential part of our training was to prepare not only for the "mildly undulating" hills of the path but also the vast mix of terrains, from extremely muddy paths, stoney beaches, grass, asphalt and a whole lot more. So we did several recce missions along the path also trying to make sure we wouldn't get lost on race day as the race was going to be essentially self led. Seeing some of the paths after heavy rain we were really hoping that we would see some sun to dry up the paths.

So along can race day and we felt that we had done as much training as we could have done: hills, mud, miles and miles. We had been told that the distance had been extended due to part of the coastal path collapsing, so we had an extra 1 mile to look forward to! So we were all ready on the start line ready to run from Porthkerry to Ogmore in glorious sunshine. Well, I can honestly say it was a fab experience. Yes, it was hard, four and a quarter hours of tiring work, but what fab scenery and what a sense of achievement. It was very emotional crossing the finish line, with the huge crowds cheering us on. However, I was very happy to see all of the PRR crew waiting to welcome us home. I can't wait to do it again next year and I am looking for the next challenge. We all celebrated with a well earned race weekend curry.







No comments:

Post a Comment